Thursday, April 1

Bits & Pieces

I tried to get Jonathan to blog about his new job, but he is too busy messing around on Web MD trying to figure out what is wrong with his shoulder. It's been hurting him recently, and he's not sure why. I told him he needs to have a doctor check it out. He thinks he's too good for doctors. I told him Obama would pay for it. He wasn't convinced. But I have a feeling I will win out in the end.

(Poor kid)

Instead of a witty post from Jonathan, you will have to endure another one from me...sorry.

* Like I mentioned in the last post, Jonathan was offered a fantastic management job with Nestle. The salary is quite nice, the benefits are fantastic, the experience will be priceless (particularly when BYU's MBA program LOVES Nestle...that should come in handy later). The only downside? He'll be working the night shift. 10 pm to 8 am. Blast. So much for being cuddled to sleep at night. I'll have to start sleeping with a teddy bear under my arm again. Luckily it won't be forever - hopefully only a year - before another position opens up. He officially starts April 19th, but from April 14th - 17th, Nestle is flying him and other managers to Arkansas (random) for team training. In a remote location. In the woods. I imagine they'll be doing trust falls and what not. I told him to take a video camera and document it for me, Office style.

(Good Job)

* I was offered and accepted a position to be an Associate Editor for BYU's Education and Law Journal next year. I will not only edit, but get to research and write my own case notes and submit them for publication. This journal is one of only three Education and Law journals in the country, and the only one run by students. And because I was given this offer, I will have the opportunity next year to apply for a senior editor position. Plus it's a nice little something to add to my resume.

* Jonathan will graduate on April 30th! I'm not sure who is more excited between the two of us. Although he didn't want to, Jonathan has graciously agreed to participate in the actual graduation - and he even bought a cap and gown to seal the deal. We will hopefully be sending out invites very soon. The ceremony is at 8 am, and later that day we will have a BBQ to celebrate with family and friends. I can't wait to see my handsome man walk across the stage with his hard-earned degree in hand.

(Jonathan designed his own announcements)

* We went to our first Utah Jazz game last night with Devin Phillips, Jonathan's former mission companion. While it was fun and a good thing to do at least once in our lifetimes, we both agreed that college sports are much more entertaining. Pro sports just lose the appeal. They're all paid ridiculous amounts of money whether they win or lose. There's no real point to laying it all out on the floor or the field. The passion and intensity is gone. I think we'll stick with our NCAA sports.

(This is about where our seats were)

* A while ago we bought a pretty cool frame at Savers for cheap. I wish we had a before picture. The frame was silver with hints of green. Jonathan painted it black and I love the way it turned out. My dad was able to get a poster sized version of a photograph I took in France printed for us. And we ordered a beautiful matte to go with it. As soon as it's all put together and hanging on our wall, I'll take pictures and post them. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

(Don't you love the detail?)

* This last year, I participated in 5th grade mentoring at the law school. Every Tuesday for an hour, kids from the elementary school down the street would come to the school and my classmates and I would mentor them. Most of the time it involved helping them with writing assignments or history lessons. A couple of times it was math (that was rough - I haven't done math since calculus my senior year of high school). After the work was done, we would play - soccer, ping pong, Uno... Throughout the year we did other fun activities - a field trip to the Art museum, an on-campus scavenger hunt, a mock law school class, and even a mock trial. The trial was by far my favorite. The kids all dressed up in suits and did their parts. It was adorable. We even had to take a short recess so the judge could go to the bathroom. Hilarious. The girl I mentored, Jayne, was a defense attorney in a case where a boy was charged with vandalism for allegedly throwing a rock at a neighbor's window. It was so fun helping her through the argument, helping her formulate questions, and coach her through it. She did a fantastic job during the actual trial, and the jury found her client Not Guilty. Success! Jayne and I had a lot in common and enjoyed our time together. This last Tuesday was the final mentoring session - a pizza party. I'm already looking forward to mentoring again next year.

(Jayne on the right, with her best friend Grace)

* My brother Garrett returns home from his mission on May 27th! In case you don't know, he's been serving in the West Indies mission, and has been in Suriname the whole time. We can't wait to greet him at the airport and then spend the long Memorial Day weekend with my whole family celebrating his return and Devin's high school graduation. Is it May yet?

(Elder Schroath)

* One week to go and then FINALS! While I still love law school, I am just about ready for the semester to be done and for summer to start. This will be the first summer since we've been together that neither of us will be taking classes and having to do homework. But I have a lot of studying and memorizing to do before I can think about that!

Hope you all have a lovely Easter and Conference Weekend! I promise our next post will be more entertaining.

5 comments:

amber_mtmc said...

Ok. First things first. WHEN did you post this?? I was up, um, late last night (by my own volition) and did not see this! So..I think you stayed up late too. ) :

Congratulations to Jonathan!! Hooray!! Though the hours suck. Yuck. Still, he is moving up!

Congratulations to YOU!!! That is SO awesome, Jessica!!

I am so happy for the both of you.

Lisa said...

Wow! What a busy month! Congrats to you and Jonathan. And good luck surviving finals!

The Techologys Team said...

Go team! Go team, go.

tammy stailey said...

Ok, so I love the fact that you pointed out that Obama will be paying for his medical bills! :)

Second, way to go Jonathan! I graduate 4 months later! It such a relief and a sense of accomplishment!

Third, I agree... College Sports are so much better than the pros. There is more passion!

Great post! Happy Easter!!

Angela said...

i thought that was a very entertaining post! sorry about jonathan's shoulder....maybe you've spent too much time with your head on it. (dad says he's been putting his shoulder to the wheel too much, which is probably more accurate). tell him to get to the doc, soon. i can't believe you're done in a couple of weeks??! Can't wait to call you a L2....but now it seems like you've gone from 1st to 2nd place. hmmmm.. i still love ya :o)