You know that feeling when you hear a new song, or maybe one you haven't heard for a long while, and it just captivates you? I would hope everyone knows that feeling. I love music in my life. It is one of the greatest gifts God has given us, in my opinion. Think of all of the roles music has in life. It can cheer us up. It can give us understanding and depth. It can convey the message that you want to get across, but don't know how to otherwise. I can think of so many songs that have meant so much to me at different times of my life. These are generally the songs that make me stop in my tracks and really just listen. And while I can connect to many songs by many different artists, there are some artists that I just seem to align with. Their songs, their moods, their words fit into my life in a way that I can't really explain. And while this post may be more for myself, to compile a list of artists and their songs that mean so much to me, I wanted to share them. Because this music in some small way makes up part of who I am.
MAE
In many ways, I feel like Mae provides the soundtrack to my life. If my life was made into a film, one of their songs would fit every scene. In my opinion, these guys have some of the best stuff out there today. I have never heard a band with a better combination of music and lyrics. Very smart stuff. And very enjoyable.
SOMETHING CORPORATE/JACK'S MANNEQUIN
These two bands, and their shared singer/songwriter Andrew McMahon. Talk about talent. I first came to love him because of the piano music. The melodies that he creates can be beautiful, heartbreaking, exciting...all at the same time. And the songs he writes just fit any emotion so well. It's hard not to adapt to his mood just by listening.
JIMMY EAT WORLD
I love this band because it reminds me of every good time I ever had with my friends in high school. My high school experience was incredible, and I had the best friends I could have asked for. One thing we definitely had in common was a love for JEW. Every one of their songs brings back a specific memory or person. For me, this music puts me in a good mood whenever I hear it.
JACK JOHNSON
Jack Johnson for president! Haha. Really, his music got me through any stressful time I've ever been through. It's impossible to listen and be uptight at the same time. I'm not sure if I would have survived college without the smooth sounds of Jack. And it reminds me of one of the best summers of my life - the summer after I graduated high school and fell for my first love. I can't think of a better artist to describe that time of my life.
DASHBOARD CONFESSIONAL
I think for my generation, and this is my own opinion, but I think for my generation, Dashboard Confessional defined that time of life when you go through the heartbreak and triumph of growing up and everything that comes with it. From the first date to the first breakup, Dashboard Confessional covers it all.
Obviously, this isn't to say that there aren't other artists and songs that I love. There are so so many. But these are the ones that I can call my favorites. The ones I relate the best to. They are the songs in my head.



3 comments:
JEW makes me think of High School and growing up - I love the lyrics to their songs. I know every band on the list but MAE, so knowing how similar we are (according to your mom) I will have to give them a listen. Nice post.:)
Yes, listen to Mae. They are amazing. Their latest album is Singularity. It's pretty good. My favorite album is probably The Everglow - great stuff on that one. And the Destination albums are really great, particularly the b-sides one. Tisbury Lane and Soundtrack for our Movie are from Destination. We're So Far Away is from The Everglow. And Release Me is from Singularity. I will do whatever I can to convert you to their greatness. :)
wow, totally impressed in your taste of music! :)
Post a Comment