Sunday, June 24

One Year Older

My birthday was a little different this year, mainly because it fell on Father's Day, and as you all know, Jonathan is a father!



It was almost kind of a normal day. He was trying to do nice things for me, I was trying to do nice things with him. We may have canceled each other out. But it all worked out just fine. Jonathan got a nice frame of a picture of him and Ajax to put on his desk at work and a steak dinner, and I got cake and a gift from my boys.

To be fair, though, we sort of celebrated my birthday all weekend. My Mom had been here all week, and she was supposed to leave on Saturday. We decided to celebrate Friday night. My Mom took us and my brother Garrett out to dinner at a new place I wanted to try. Quick background: When I was little, if I got to choose where we ate for my birthday, I usually picked this old 50's diner in Boise called Galaxy Diner. I think I even went there for my sixteenth birthday with some friends. But it closed down and doesn't even exist anymore. The building was knocked down and I think it's a parking lot now. But man it was fun. Juke box. Milkshakes. Comfort food. Yum. When I found out a similar Diner was opening in downtown Provo, I wanted to try it out, and what a better reason than my birthday? I thought the food was great, just what I expected. And really inexpensive too. We will be going back. 

Earlier that day, my Mom, Ajax and I went up to South Jordan to my cousin Janell's cupcake shop, One Sweet Slice. When we came home from dinner, we had cupcakes and opened birthday and father's day gifts from my parents. Jonathan got some great stuff for the grill, and we both got things for the fire pit we're building in our backyard (s'mores sticks and camp chairs), and I got a new casserole dish and some new silverware, which we desperately need because some of our silverware has disappeared! As usual, we were spoiled. 

Saturday morning Ajax and I went to a friend's bridal shower and then went back home to find out that my Mom (and little sister, who was at BYU Music Camp all week) wouldn't actually be leaving until Sunday morning! So Saturday night we made dinner and then Jonathan's Dad and brother Lyndon came over for a while. My mom helped me make my birthday cake. I've always had yellow cake and chocolate frosting for my birthday cake. It is my absolute favorite. But this year I decided that instead of having the store bought kind, I would make my own. It was a lot of work, but it was also SO GOOD. At least I thought so. I used two different recipes, one for the cake, and one for the frosting. Might have to make it a new tradition.

Sunday morning my Mom and Amanda left early. We went to church from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, and then we came home and took a family nap! Best part about Sundays. After we all woke up, Jonathan and I sort of tag teamed making dinner (steak and potatoes). And then we opened presents! I didn't take any of Jonathan opening his gift. But here are some of me opening mine.

Ajax held onto my gift until I was ready for it. Jonathan (being a man) couldn't find birthday wrapping paper, so he wrapped it with Christmas paper instead. 



I think he would have preferred to just lick the paper instead of hand it over to me.




I have told Jonathan for a long time that we should get guitar hero or rock band because I think it's fun... not that I'm any good at it, but I do like singing along to the songs! Jonathan and Ajax got me two guitars and four of the games. I definitely have a lot to choose from! If any of you want to come play guitar hero with us, please do. 




I also used some birthday money I got from my grandparents and my mother-in-law to buy Ed Sheeran's new album, +, which I am loving.

In addition to the picture frame for his desk, Jonathan also got some bottles of Coke. Ajax liked holding the grown-up bottle.



Look at that face! Silly dude. He just wants to grab the camera.



Later that evening, our good friends Katie and Louis came over for cake and ice cream. Ajax had a fun time playing with Katie while Louis looked through my bookshelf.



Here's my cake! Doesn't it look delicious? It should, because it was. Oh, and in the background, you can see my chair. Growing up, my parents always decorated our chair at the table on our birthday. I loved that my Mom took the time to do it for me before she went home!


Twenty-five... looks like a lot of candles.




Sure hope my wish comes true!



Enjoying our cake. The flowers on the table are roses that Jonathan cut from our rose bushes. They were beautiful.



Later that night, J-Baum came over, and so did my mother-in-law Becky, sister-in-law Anna Lisa, and brother-in-law Nick. And then my Grandparents Schroath came and stayed the night with us. It's a good thing they came to help us eat the rest of that cake.

All in all, it was a great birthday, and hopefully a good first Father's Day for Jonathan. I will say, though, that we are both looking forward to next year when they are on different days!

6 comments:

Angela said...

Oh...delicious cake..nam nam nam.
I'm glad I could be there to celebrate with you two! I'm thinking after people see the pictures of that cake that you will have to post the recipe.

I hope we can celebrate with you two again next year! Love ya!

PS--that first pic of Jonathan was a very handsome pic! And I love the one of you with your cake..you're so cute :)

Vanessa said...

You are gorgeous and your baby is adorable! I'm glad you had a good birthday and Jonathan had a good Father's Day!

Also Ed Sheeran? LOVE.

SP said...

not having the internet has put me behind on post!! THat cake looks yummy! Good work, even if you had to make your own birthday cake, I am glad you enjoyed it!

Curt and Amy said...

Looks like you had a good day! You'll have to post the recipe for the cake! Wish we could have wished you happy birthday in person!

Marci LeBaron Watson said...

Yay! Glad it was such a great day, Jessica!

Kimber said...

Ajax is the chubbiest piece of cuteness ever! And you look so pretty in the pic of Ajax giving you a present.