We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.

Twice a year, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints holds a conference. It is an opportunity for the leadership of the church to share the messages of God - not just with members of the church, but with all who will listen. We believe that throughout the history of the world, God has called prophets and given them authority to be His voice. That authority is the Priesthood, or the power of God on earth. Some of the words of the prophets are recorded in the Bible and in the Book of Mormon, which together testify of God the Father, and His son, Jesus Christ. After Jesus Christ was crucified and resurrected, prophets continued to direct His church, until they too were killed, and there was no one left with the authority to act in God's name.
Although God continued to inspire many great men and women for hundreds of years, the fullness of the Gospel was not found on the earth, and there was great confusion and conflict between different religions -- particularly in America. It was in the midst of this confusion that a 14-year-old boy named Joseph Smith felt the need to know what church to join. One day, while studying the Bible, he came to James chapter 1, verse 5: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." Venturing into the woods by himself, Joseph decided to kneel down and ask God what church was true. Just like prophets of old, Joseph Smith was visited, in person, by God and Jesus Christ. They told him that no church at that time contained the fullness of the gospel, and that he should join none of them. However, God called Joseph Smith, after years of preparation and study, to be the prophet of His church. Divine messengers who held the Priesthood laid their hands on Joseph's head to give him the authority to act in God's name. With the Priesthood restored, other righteous men were called, and, through revelation from God, the complete gospel was restored to the earth.
Since that time, the message of the gospel has spread throughout the world. Today, the prophet of God is Thomas S. Monson. He presides over the church. Although each member can receive individual revelation from God, he is the only one who receives revelation pertaining to the whole church, and the whole world. We believe that when the prophet of God speaks, it is the same as if God or Jesus Christ is speaking. And that is why, each April and October, we gather to hear the current prophet and apostles speak. We know they speak the words of God, and that we will be happy and blessed if we do what they ask.
Saturday morning, I had the opportunity to attend the first session of conference at the Conference Center in Salt Lake City with two of my best friends (and former roommates), Jessica and KaRynn.While waiting to go inside, we ran into our other former roommate, Kate.

I love that as friends, as family, as neighbors, acquaintances, or strangers, no matter where we are, or what our life circumstances, as members of the church, we are united by our faith.We are united by our common belief in God, and in His son, Jesus Christ, and in our individual knowledge and testimony that they love us and have a plan for us. That is what drives who we are and what we do. We are not perfect. But we are trying. We are happiest when we are living up to the covenants we have made with God. And it is because we know that the Gospel brings happiness what we want to share it with you. We want you to have the same joy and purpose in life that we do.

I feel very blessed to have the gospel in my life. I am grateful for faithful parents who taught me and my siblings to love and serve the Lord. I am grateful that my husband is a worthy holder of the Priesthood. I am grateful that we were sealed together for time and eternity in the temple, the House of God. I am thankful for the scriptures, particularly the Book of Mormon, and for the Spirit that comes into my life when I read the words of Lord. I am grateful for Joseph Smith, for the courage and faith he had to ask God what to do, and then to obediently do everything he was told, despite severe challenge and opposition. I am grateful for living prophets and apostles, who direct the church in God's name, and who testify of Him. I am grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, who knows my needs and who blesses me so much. Most of all, I am grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ. He came to earth to set the perfect example for me to follow. He atoned for my sins so that I can repent and be forgiven. He went through every pain and suffering imaginable, so that He could know how to comfort me. He died for me, because He loves me. He was resurrected, so that I can live forever. I want to live my life as He did, because I love Him.

If you would like to know more about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, or about God, Jesus Christ, the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, or God's plan for you, visit www.mormon.org. You can also watch a movie about Joseph Smith and the Restoration of the Gospel to the earth here. Or, you can ask me a question, either in a comment, or using my Formspring (to the left). I am happy to answer questions about anything!
One more thing: I cannot say how excited I am that a temple will be built in Meridian, Idaho! Great blessings are in store -- not just for members of the church, but for everyone who lives in that area.
4 comments:
Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony! It's just what a parent hopes for all their children, to know for themselves that God lives and Jesus Christ is their Savior. I love you!
WOW, what a beautiful post! Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring words. You girls look like models in those pictures. I miss you guys! Love you, and hope the last little bit of school treats you well.
I could not have put that any more perfect, Jessica. I appreciate this post so much. It makes me want to be a better missionary. Beautifully written, thank you for a good start to a gorgeous day! I love the gospel!
Good golly is that Garrett next to Jonathan? He is so TALL! :) Amen to all you said. You are an amazing girl! Way to go for sharing your testimony!
Post a Comment