Hello blog, my old friend. Sorry I’ve been neglecting you for the past few weeks. I had good intentions, but life is busy. This post alone has taken me 2 ½ weeks to finish. Too bad you can’t write yourself. Wouldn’t that be nice.
This shouldn’t surprise you. No one makes me happier than Jonathan. When I cried, he held me, stroked my hair, and cried with me. And then he made a joke that made me smile and realize that everything would be just fine. And it is. He also brought me nice surprises, like flowers and…

For years now, friends had been asking us if we watched this show. Of course we didn’t. I think someone told me once that it was like Monk, and if we liked Monk, we would like Psych. We don’t really like Monk. But Psych is way better. We watched all four seasons on Netflix, and half of season 5 on tv. We are hooked. It is our favorite show… ever. Now, when I fill out an information sheet about me that asks for my favorite tv show, I know exactly what to put down. It is clever, interesting, smart, and hilarious. I have never laughed so hard at a tv show. If you have not seen Psych, you are missing out. It is the best show on television.

(Side note for those of you who do watch Psych: In one episode with a rather intense plot (pretty sure it’s the season 4 finale – Mr. Yin presents), Gus tries to diffuse the situation by taking out a small airplane and saying “hey everyone, look how big I am next to this plane!” After I went through the miscarriage, I was sad and upset and scared. But Jonathan pulled out that line… and I laughed and smiled, and nothing could have fixed the situation better.)
You all know I love BYU Basketball (especially if you’re my facebook friend). I love having two games to look forward to each week. Win or lose, I just love being a fan. This is the greatest season of BYU Basketball since I’ve been born (okay, 1988 might have been a good year too, but I was too young to remember), and I am enjoying every second.
Jonathan and I are looking forward to going to Las Vegas for the MWC tournament (and the warm weather) in March!
5. Law School Grades
A couple of weeks ago my grades from fall semester came out. Last semester was the busiest semester of school so far (although I think this semester might actually turn out to be even busier). I had a full load of classes, completed my substantial writing requirement (30+ page paper), served on the Family Law Board, fulfilled my assignment as an associate editor on the Education Law Journal, and worked for BYU’s General Legal Counsel. And I got spectacular grades, including a 4.0 in my Public Education Law class (I believe only 1 person gets the 4.0, and the scale goes down from there) and a 3.8 in my Higher Education Law class. I ended with a 3.6 GPA and made the Dean’s List. I know I did not do it on my own – I definitely had some divine help. But getting great grades at a school with so many smart, talented classmates reassures me that I belong here. And that makes me happy.
6. Working Out
There are so many things I love about serving in Young Womens. Most of all, it’s interacting with the girls I preside over. They are fun, kind, beautiful, smart, thoughtful, and good. They have such unique personalities, yet they get along very well. I love teaching them and planning activities with and for them. I love seeing them during the week for mutual. I love seeing them grow and learn and make good choices. I love hearing about their successes and what makes them happy. I just love them! Recently, our ward participated in stake road shows. Although the stake wanted us to combine with another ward since we’re smaller, the youth decided they wanted to do it on their own. I was so proud of the way that each girl got involved and how they worked together and with the young men to pull off a great show. (Of course, it helped to have some awesome road show directors who really won over the youth!) I am still working on uploading the video of their best performance, so look out for that!
Mae is my favorite artist of all time. There is not even a close second. Mae’s music is beautiful, complex, and moving. I feel like I relate better to their music than anyone else’s. I can’t help but be happy when I listen. You know what’s the best? Randomly hearing a Mae song on the radio. It hardly ever happens, but when it does? Instant mood changer.
9. Planning Our Trip to France
Yes, we are doing it. No more talking about it saying “Someday we’ll go.” We are going. In May. Of this year. We already bought our airline tickets. Our plan is to spend 3 or 4 days in Paris before renting a car and driving through the Loire Valley all the way to the southern coast (Marseille), and then taking a train back to Paris to fly home. I cannot wait to take Jonathan to places I went while we were engaged, and to explore new places with him. We are excited to go on this adventure together! As they say in Up, “Adventure is out there!” And we are going to find it.
10. New Piano Music
Sometimes when we go to the mall, Jonathan lets me pick out some new piano music, because he loves me. Last time we were there, I found a book of music by The Gabe Dixon Band. They are another piano rock band that I love (see Mae, Jack’s Mannequin/Something Corporate, Ben Folds Five – consequently, some of my favorite piano music comes from these bands). If you are a piano player, you know that those kinds of bands have the best sheet music because it sounds the same way you are used to hearing it on the album. I love being able to play some of my favorite songs on my own piano.
11. This Flier

A friend of mine was in charge of advertising for our 2L Halfway Party. (Yes, I am officially more than halfway done with law school!) So she created a few versions of fliers to hand out to all of the 2Ls. One of the versions used the picture of me and some of the BYU Basketball team. Mostly, it just makes me laugh. And remember how awesome the day was that I became BFFs with the basketball team (at least, that’s what our kids will think). J
12. Winning a Giveaway
Now I just need a nice frame and somewhere to hang it. Here’s a little known fact about me: I love poppies.

I wasn't planning on watching this season, particularly because the judges changed. But one day while I was working on some stuff for school, I decided to give it a shot anyway. You know what? I think it is better than ever. I must say, I think Steven Tyler (no relation…I think) is hilarious. And watching just makes me happy, so it makes the list.
14. Our Tax Return

This one makes the list because it is pretty much paying for our entire trip to France. Our return was a lot bigger than we anticipated (thank you, law school), and we cannot wait to spend it. Thank you, federal government!
15. Weekends
The weekend is when I get to spend the most time with Jonathan. I love Jonathan, a whole lot. So weekends = favorite.
Happy Friday everyone!










8 comments:
Wow! You have a lot of things that make you happy and that is great! I am SUPER jealous of your trip to Paris! But most of all I am glad you have someone who loves you and makes you happy even during your darkest moments. You deserve to be happy!
Oh, and great job on your grades! You are awesome!
Dad and I (and Devin) were sad that we didn't make the list. But I still love you! I'm glad there are lots of things that make you happy, especially that cute hubby of yours. And I do think new piano music is truly one of the best ways to feel happy :)
I love everything about this post and am super jealous of your trip to Paris. But can we also talk about that dress?! So cute! I want one!
YOu make me happy Jessica and all the things that make you happy make me happy too (except I have yet to hear Mae.) Way to go on gettin tickets to France!!!!!Yahoooooo!!!
I'm glad you are happy, it make me happy that you are happy. I was trying to use the word happy at least four times. I think I'll go get some piano music tomorrow! Oh, and is that a surf board?? Can you guys teach me how to surf??? That would make ME happy!
umm. so basically, this post made me miss you like crazy.
1. so.. if Atticus and Annie died... what did you name your new birds?
2. i'm SOOO glad you got on board with Psych. It is, as lauren would say, *awesomespice* to the extreme.
3. "jimmer fredette is the best scorer in the world"
4. holy crap! --about your grades. although, i'm not surprised. you were the genius of all our roommates.
5. i am SO jealous that you won one of lauren's giveaways! i totally gave up after a while. just too many people... lol
6. i miss you. and i'm planning to come to utah march 26th-ish to see everyone (and to go to the festival of colors).
I loved this post-- thanks for sharing! I never got a chance to tell you, I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. But so glad you have a guy like Jonathan to be there with you. You're very brave to talk about it on your blog, and I wanted to say thanks for sharing, and for being a great example of happiness and a positive attitude. I'm glad you made such a lovely list!
this. this just makes me so happy:) jess. i love your blog more then air. well... maybe not THAT much.. but it's still pretty high up there on my "things-that-i-love" list. you are such a beast:) i miss you!!
Post a Comment