Elder Carmack
(Named to the First Quorum of the Seventy in 1984, President of the Idaho Boise Mission, went to the UCLA School of Law, married with six children)
- Education...
is not just a safeguard against divorce, death, etc.
is important for men and women in the church.
can help women fulfill their life roll.
makes people more likely to fulfill their duty as citizens.
gives people a sense of self-worth and self-reliance
- 51% of the recipients of the PEF are women
- He shared a story from President Hinckley. After one of his sons graduation, a man said to Pres. Hinckley, "My, your sons sure are smart!" And he replied, "Yes, my sons are smarter than me - but not smarter than their mother!"
- Quote from Pres. Hinckley: "You must get all of the education that you possibly can. Life has become so complex and competitive. You cannot assume that you have entitlements due you. You will be expected to put forth great effort and to use your best talents to make your way to the most wonderful future of which you are capable. Sacrifice a car; sacrifice anything that is needed to be sacrificed to qualify yourselves to do the work of the world. That world will in large measure pay you what it thinks you are worth, and your worth will increase as you gain education and proficiency in your chosen field."
- The Lord expects men and women to fulfill their talents.
- There is great power in discipline.
- Education gives you more time to devote to and skill to fulfill church callings.
- Education is necessary for fulfilling life's purposes.
- Every person will apply their education differently.
- The children of educated parents are generally better prepared for school and participate in extra cirricular activites.
- Women aren't doing as well as they should as far as education goes - they can do better.
Nancy Stevenson Van Slooten
(Chair-elect of the J. Reuben Clark Law Society, first female on the JRCLS Board, first female recipient of the J. Reuben Clark Law School's Honored Alumni Award, married and has adopted 6 children from Russia, CA, and Ukraine)
- A legal education gives you confidence that you can do anything - that you are on par with everyone.
- Pray about each step you take, so you can ensure that your decisions are confirmed and you have no regrets.
RonNell Anderson Jones
(Professor at BYU Law, clerked for Justice Sandra Day O'Connor of the Supreme Court and Judge William A. Fletcher on the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, married with two kids)
- BYU has a culture of dedication to family that makes it easier for women to attend law school.
- Be on par with your spouse and make decisions together.
Megan Gee
(Worked as a corporate lawyer for Texaco, married to a lawyer, has four children, one with autism and another with hydrocephalus and epilepsy. Her and her husband have 'worked successfully to secure fair and appropriate educational opportunities for their disabled children...including prevailing in litigation against the school district in Chapel Hill.'
- Example is the most powerful tool a parent has.
- The three years you put in to law school is absolutely worth the respect you will gain from those around you.
Judge Sheila K. McCleve
(Graduate of the first class of the J. Reuben Clark Law School, Judge on the Third Judicial District Utah State Court for 25 years, Adjunct Professor at BYU Law)
- I was not thrilled about going to law school at first, but it just 'felt right', so I stuck with it.
- The best thing about going to law school is the people I met and the opportunities it gave me to use my education in many aspects of my life, including in church service.
LeAnn Wheeler
(Editor on the Rutgers Law Review, Clerked on the Colorado Supreme Court and for a Wall Street law firm, married with five children - entered law school with 2 children and gave birth to her 3rd and 4th while in law school)
- Make sure you prioritize. Put your family first.
- People have asked her several times, "How can you waste your education by staying at home with your children?" Her reply has always been, "How can you ever waste education? It is invaluable."
Overall the night was really interesting. The room was packed, but it was hard to tell how many of the women there were law students, and how many are just considering law school. Hopefully it encouraged some women to do it. The reason I initially looked int o going to law school was because of an email I received from the Women's Law Forum. It's partly because of them that I am in law school right now. I'm so glad I made the decision to go. And it definitely helps to know that there are women out there who have done this before. :)
5 comments:
Learn everything you can! You can take all that intelligence with you when you enter heaven and it is invaluable here on earth for you and your family! I am so glad you decided to further your education, you are a great example to my girls! Love you!
You totally amaze me. I'm so glad you are improving your life more than I did. Your future children are going to be so blessed to have you as their mother (and they ain't gonna be able to get away with anything either!)
love ya!
I really like the thoughts expressed in that forum. I think education is so important! As soon as B is done with med school I will be starting in on my Masters!
Thanks for sharing yur notes. I really liked them. Doesn't it feel good to be you? And so smart?
I kept waiting until I had time to really sit and write a thought out response to this post, but I've decided life happens and I just wanted to tell you I definitely agree with you, education is so important. I think you learn so much more than your classes teach you in college and its an experience everyone needs. I think you are awesome for getting your law degree. I plan on going back for my masters and you are an inspiration to get on that and not wait too long. Education rocks. Women rock. Educated women can rule the world! :D
Post a Comment