Wednesday, April 2

Alpine: The Real UC

So yesterday I was struck with a brilliant idea. Doesn't happen very often, but when it does, it's gold. At least I think so. And apparently Jonathan is too because he liked it and we talked about it for a long while last night. If you're anywhere from about 14 to 25, you definitly have heard of Laguna Beach: The Real OC, even if you've never seen it. Basically it is a strangely entertaining and slightly addicting reality show about a group of super rich high school kids living in Laguna Beach, CA. Cameras follow them around for 8 months, capturing everything from school dances to graduation - and all the drama that comes along with it. And because it is real, it can get a little scandalous sometimes...not that they really show anything, it's just watching a group of typical high school kids. Here is a clip just so you get an idea what the show is like if you've never seen it. The first couple of minutes will give you the idea - the clip is kinda long so don't feel like you have to watch all of it. Here it is:



So here's my idea: An LDS version focusing on a group of LDS high school kids. (By the way, Morgan in the clip you just saw is LDS, strangely enough.) Think about it. Just because they (hopefully) don't drink or party doesn't mean there isn't drama involved. Can you imagine? All the drama that comes with turning 16 and going on your first date, asking and getting asked to school dances, going to mutual and combined ym/yw activities, hiking, skiing, camping, shopping in Park City, etc. etc. And then there's the typical "what happens after graduation" dilemma. And instead of just "oh, we're going to different colleges and I'll never see you" it's dealing with the boys going on missions, the girls going to school, and especially dealing with the whole missionary/girlfriend thing. When I told Jonathan about it, he laughed and said "what would we call it, Alpine: The Real UC?" (UC is Utah County, in case you were wondering). From what I've heard and what Jonathan knows, Alpine is a pretty rich area - with the perfect kind of people for a Mormon version of this show. You just need the right group...

- The handsome, athletic, smart senior class president
- The gorgeous and talented head cheerleader
- The strong but silent football player
- The nice, sweet young women's president
- The guy-who-gets-all-the-girls-and-nobody-knows-why player
- The bleached blonde sassy drama queen
- The slightly rebellious Stake President's son


Et cetera, et cetera. Feel free to add suggestions. But seriously, this would be the greatest LDS reality show. Ever. And come on, who doesn't like to re-live their high school days through someone else? There's something for everyone.
Anyway, that's my idea. If only it would become a reality. Curt? Maybe you could reconsider moving to Brazil...this could be a major hit for you...if only in Utah. And probably Idaho and select parts of Arizona. You think I'm kidding...but I'm completely serious...

Here are some possible location shots.

So that's it. My brilliant idea. I can only imagine there is a group of high school kids in Alpine who would absolutely love to be the stars of Alpine: The Real UC. But maybe first we should write a fake one for tv called simply The UC. And maybe I should figure out the copywright stuff for those two shows...Anyway. There it is. Let me know what you think.

4 comments:

Angela said...

Well, I have seen that show...and think you idea is an interesting one. I think you will need to add the token non-member guy/girl, and the in-active guy/girl who know where all the parties are and will protect his/her goodie-goodie Mormon friend by not telling them even though their goodie-goodie friend begs them to, and of course the intellectual Mormon who reads all anti-Mormon literature just to be aprised of what they are saying so they can have a snappy comeback, oh and of course...the I avoid and ignore all non-mormon people. I think I went a little overboard......

ps--are there really kids in Utah that would volunteer for that?? And parents too??

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? I'm sure there are kids that would absolutely love to do it. And I can't imagine the parents would have too many objections. What would you object to? We would just film what they do normally...

Curt and Amy said...

Sounds good. I'll set up a meeting with halestorm and KJZZ and we'll go and pitch it to them.

Just let me know when.

KaRynn Sheranian said...

Ok.. .so basically, this is a completely awesome idea Jessica! I was laughing so hard, but I knew that I would totally watch it! =D And I really think that some kids would be totally up for it! I mean, as a teenager, would you seriously turn down the opportunity to be TV star? lol. Well.. I guess I can see the nice, sweet young women's president turning down the opportunity. But ya never know until you try! =]